Welcome to Whitford Hockey Club and thank you for making us your club of choice. At Whitford Hockey Club we aim to assist players of any age, skill level or background to achieve their best in a safe environment of fun, fellowship, family participation and development.
This program caters for players from Years 5-12 (below school year 5 refer to Hookin2Hockey). The players learn skills through fun activities and game situations with the help of their volunteer coaches. Teams are limited in number and places can’t be guaranteed so please register early to avoid disappointment. Numbers permitting new players are welcome at any time during the season.
During the initial weeks of pre-season training we plan to group players together in school year groups and gender groups to identify skills levels and understanding of the rules of hockey. The players will then be allocated a team where a volunteer coach will be appointed. You can expect that your child will remain in his/her allocated team for the entire season, although some exceptions may apply.
Our registration day for 2018 will be on Saturday 17 February from 11am – 2pm at our state-of-the-art premises at Warwick Hockey Centre, 86 Lloyd Drive, Warwick. We have settled into our new purpose built clubrooms, turf and grass fields over the past year and are looking forward to an exciting 2018 season!
As per previous years existing and new members will be required to register online.
There is no need for existing members to come to registration day however you are most welcome if you feel like coming down or want some hands on help with registering.
New members are not required to attend registration day either as long as you register online, however it is a great opportunity to check out our clubrooms and fields, find out some more information and ask any questions you may have.
Payments are not taken on registration day, instead you will be sent an invoice after you register.
Age Specific Information
For further details for each age group select the best choice below:
- J5/6 (school year 5 & 6)
- J7/8 (school year 7 & 8)
- J9/10 (school year 9 & 10)
- J11/12 (school year 11 & 12)
- Hookin2 Hockey (school year 4 and below)
- Senior Women
- Senior Men
Junior Pre-Season Training
Pre-season training for our Junior teams will commence on Monday 19 February. Training sessions will be held every Monday and Wednesday from 5.30pm – 6.30pm on the grass pitches at Warwick Hockey Centre.
All Juniors 5/6, 7/8, 9/10 and 11/12 are expected to attend these fitness and conditioning sessions. Parents are welcome to join in too!
This is a fantastic opportunity for players to get into peak physical condition prior to the commencement of the winter season.
All you need to bring is a full water bottle, good running shoes and a great attitude!
Junior Development Squad
The Junior Development Program is a critical element of the Club’s strategic plan and a key requisite in its vision to be the premier hockey club in Perth’s northern suburbs.
It involves a holistic approach to junior development. It aims to provide multiple development pathways through to the senior grades for players of all abilities.
The Junior Development Squad is now in it’s second season and is specifically targeted at nurturing our talented juniors.
Participation is by invitation only. Criteria includes desire to learn above all else.
Players will be invited/notified formally in writing (club letterhead). Players and parents will have to agree to a formal Code of Conduct (in addition to the regular one). Players may be added/dropped at any time during the program.
This will be a 20 week program commencing mid-March through the regular winter season, run in conjunction with players’ normal weekly training with their regular teams.
Focus on three key development aspects:
- Motor Skill Proficiency
- Tactical Decision Making
- Physical Fitness
Junior Development Squad will be expected to participate in Carnivals/extra competitions. The program will include an ongoing assessment of both program participants and a talent identification process for players outside the program who could be invited to the program.
The junior winter season is action packed. Please feel free to download the attached 2018 Calendar to keep you up-to-date with whats happening.
- All players will need to wear a Whitford Hockey Club shirt, shorts/skort and socks.
- You will also need a hockey stick, shin pads and a mouth guard. Sticks and shin pads can be purchased from our onsite JDH Perth shop.
- Professional mouth guard fittings will take place at the club rooms during March. More information will be available soon.
- After registration day, the uniforms can be purchased online. Should you need to check sizing please feel free to try the samples available at the Club.
We are pleased to announce that through the City of Joondalup we are able to help families with a health card or pension card to receive up to $200 off the cost of membership and equipment for each child in that family between the ages of 5 and 18. Even if the child turns 19 during the year, as long as they are 18 at the time of application, they can qualify. So now your children can play at Whitford Hockey Club for free! For further information please check the Kidsport website.
- Each team is required to nominate a manager to deal with off field organisation such as rosters, umpires, social events and fundraising. Please contact your coach if you are available to assist. No prior experience required!
- Any parent who wishes to coach a team should contact Rachel at registration or via email.
- Each team will need to provide an umpire at every game. This will be the manager’s job to organise. If you do not have any qualified parents, you may wish to use a junior. All junior umpires MUST have a completed their level 1 umpiring course. Juniors are paid according to their year level. If you require an umpire for the 11/12 games you must use a senior player umpire. Please contact the JUMP Coordinator for details.
- Parents who wish to volunteer their time helping within the junior program please also contact Rachel.
Social Events and Duties
- Throughout the year each team hosts a Club Dinner. On your rostered meal night parents and players are expected to set up the room, prepare, cook and sell dinner at the clubrooms. Stay tuned for more information.
- Every Saturday night at 6pm we hold our presentations at the clubrooms, which last around 30 minutes. A spokesperson for each team from Kindy to over 60’s will inform you of what the final result was for their game and the best player is awarded a prize. There are always a few laughs whilst everyone reminisces about the days games!
- The bar will also be open for you to enjoy a cold beverage.